|Date Posted||January 12, 2019|
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Develop customized solutions for cyber security applications by applying, leveraging and influencing industry best practices. Possess unique knowledge of the cyber security space, applying security principles and understand the application of risk mitigation strategies.
We are looking for a motivated Cyber Security Engineer to join our team who will partner with a variety of researchers, analysts, and others to develop solutions for a variety of cyber security problems by applying, leveraging and influencing industry best practices. This position requires both a sound understanding of fundamental cyber security principles and the ability to conduct testing and produce technical reports, papers, and presentations.
Job responsibilities include:
The Cyber Security Engineer will support internally- and sponsor-funded cyber security research projects in developing solutions for a variety of cyber, network, and host security problems. These are complex problems that must be solved through effective design, decomposition, and implementation, and the project environment is highly challenging and complex. Constant and effective communication is critical as teams are often composed of geographically dispersed individuals.
Cyber Security Engineers typically:
- design, develop, configure, and manage cyber systems and networks
- ensure system security needs are established and maintained for operations
- develop security requirements definitions, security risk assessments, systems designs and analyses,
- conduct security test/evaluation and certification/accreditation, and
- perform systems hardening.
Operating on the data-information-knowledge continuum, our staff employ diverse methods to confront significant problems of national interest—from distilling distributed data into knowledge that supports decision processes, to enabling resilient technologies that enhance computing at extreme scales, to equipping cyber defenders with tools that prevent damaging cyber-attacks.
Our research portfolio—spanning from basic to applied—includes data and computational engineering, high-performance computing, applied mathematics, semantic and human language technologies, machine learning, data and computing architectures, systems integration, and software and application development.
Computing researchers and practitioners work side by side to apply advanced theories, methods, algorithms, models, evaluation tools and testbeds, and computational-based solutions address complex scientific challenges affecting energy, biological sciences, the environment, and national security.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree with 2-4 years of experience, or Master’s Degree with 0-2 years of experience. Must have a degree Computer Science, Information Systems, Electrical Engineering or other related fundamental science degree.
- Strong understanding of fundamental computer science.
- Strong understanding of cyber security concepts and practices.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a SCI clearance.
- Strong analysis and technical writing skills.
- CISSP, CISSM, Security+
- Fundamental mathematics understanding
- Awareness of federal cyber security policies, standards bodies, sponsor mission authorities, etc.
- Ability to guide others in completion of technical work
- Understanding of the integration of cyber and physical security concepts and practices
- Balanced conception of cyber security risk and system use and effectiveness
- Attention to detail and follow through
- Oral presentation and briefing capabilities
- Testing, assessment, and quality assurance experience
- Focused on meeting technical national security mission challenges
- Self driven and motivated
- Flexible in a highly dynamic environment
- Thought leadership/strategic thinking on behalf of sponsor to be responsive to evolving sponsor mission
- Software engineering experience