|Published||August 29, 2022|
|Location||Rio Rancho, NM|
Position Title: IT Systems Security Administrator MC
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Network Manager - IT
FLSA Status: Exempt
Bargaining Unit: None
Job Status: Perm/FT
Pay Grade: 30A
F/T Equivalent: 1.0
The IT Systems Security Administrator is responsible for the installation, maintenance and support of applications, servers, security systems, network operating systems, integration, and monitoring, managing, and responding to security threats and events. Responsibilities include application system and security administration, and support of systems hardware and software management.
Education, Training and Experience - minimum required to proficiently perform the job
Education / higher education: Bachelor's Degree
For required college degrees, applicable field(s) of study: Computer science, computer information systems, or related field. Minimum number of years of directly related experience: Three years of experience with computer information systems.
Education and/or experience preferences: Must have held progressively advanced positions in the Information Technology field.
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations
Driver's License requirement: Infrequent Driver -- Regular Driver's License Required Endorsements: None
Note -- For any driver, driving record must always meet City driving and insurability standards.
Required certifications, licenses or registrations: Microsoft Certified Software Engineer, Certified Network Administrator
Preferred certifications, licenses or registrations: CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker); OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional); CISA (Certified Information Security Auditor)
- GCIH (GIAC Certified Incident Handler)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Information Systems Security Architecture Professional (CISSP-ISSAP)
- Information Systems Security Engineering Professional (CISSP-ISSEP)
- Information Systems Security Management Professional (CISSP-ISSMP)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required to proficiently perform the job
Knowledge: Demonstrated knowledge and experience with computer security systems, standards, and compliance, online and server-based application systems. Experience with various network operating systems, preferably Windows server. Experience with virtualization software, preferably Nutanix AHV. Knowledge of information technology, computer operations, network, and database processing.
Skills: Diagnosing computer operating and network problems, responding to internal requests with a high degree of diplomacy and professionalism. The use of standard office equipment, technology, and the ability to master new technologies.
Abilities: Interact and assist computer users of varying skill levels, understand complex configuration, installation, and computer maintenance procedures. Handle confidential information, work independently and be proactive. Problem solve while maintaining good judgment, use a variety of power and hand tools for the repair and installation of computer related equipment. Effectively communicate and present ideas and concepts orally and in writing, establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness when dealing with staff, students, faculty, the public, and other professional contacts. Critically assess situations, maintain attention to detail, solve problems, work efficiently under stress, within deadlines, and changing work priorities.
Interaction with Groups/Agencies/Entities: Internal: Works with department supervisors or managers on routine assignments and special projects. Maintains harmonious, courteous, and understanding relationships, while fostering a collaborative teamwork environment. External: Works with equipment vendors to resolve hardware and software problems and presents a courteous and friendly image for the City. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
Authorities and Accountabilities
Level of independent decision making: High--incumbent is expected to analyze complex situations and take appropriate action
Budgetary/Financial/Asset accountability: Low -- Position is accountable to a Department Director or Division Manager and cannot make major decisions or obligate the City
Span of control: Responsibility for own work and coordinating with other staff.
For positions that supervise: n/a
The following functions are typical for this position. The omission of specific functions does not exclude them if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Provide system and security administration for information technology related hardware, operating systems, databases, and applications.
- Communicate issues to vendor technical support and follow through until resolved, coordinating and performing required upgrades, fixes, and patches.
- Analyze and implement security requirements, compliance, reporting, documentation, and strategies while working closely with co-workers and vendors.
- Install, manage, and configure security related systems such as anti-spam, anti-virus, malware, firewall, intrusion detection and prevention with both hardware and software solutions.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of required systems on premise or as a service.
- Work closely with and support the needs of the departmental systems including but not limited to software and hardware system settings and configurations, backup, and restore, which effect systems operation.
- Manage and configure Office 365 including, exchange, Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint, data integration between active directory, identity management, policies, and security best practices.
- Develop and test scripts in support of PowerShell scripts, batch files, and other scripting languages.
- Review system and application logs to diagnose and correct problems.
- Installation, support, and secure applicable versions of Windows Server.
- Experience with Linux and Linux based applications.
- Provide security integration and support for VMware infrastructure.
- Operational experience with DNS and TCP/IP.
- Management of active directory, group policy, LDAP, MFA, SSO, and network security settings.
- Licensing server configuration, setup, update, and maintenance.
- Work closely with other IT members and assist them and assist with daily issues when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
Daily activity level: Blend of sedentary and physical work
Physical characteristics: Job requires oral and aural communication; Job requires reading and comprehension of written materials; Job requires normal vision; Keystroking or repetitive motion of hands/fingers/arms; and Bending/kneeling/crawling; Lifting /carrying/push/pull up to 49 lbs. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others in person and on the telephone. Employee required to hear and distinguish normal sounds with some background noise. Employee must view and create written and electronic documents. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and use ladder. The employee may be exposed to the risk of electrical shock. The employee must frequently lift and/or move moderate to heavy weight objects up to 49 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is generally quiet and sometimes moderate.
Extraordinary working conditions: None
Hazardous equipment/machinery used: None
Required personal protective equipment: None